Justice of the Peace Services operate out of the Oatley Electorate Office located at 24 Pitt Street Mortdale, between 1-2pm Monday to Thursday.
Becoming a JP
As your local State Member of Parliament I can assist you to become a Justice of the Peace (JP).
A JP facilitates the swearing of Affidavits and Statutory Declarations. JPs play an essential part in the legal system and in the community in NSW. By volunteering to become a JP you will be providing a valuable and important service to your community or place of employment
To become a JP you must be nominated by a Member of Parliament.
You must also:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian Citizen or a person who is entitled to vote in this State (unless exempted by the Minister)
- be of good character
- not be an undischarged bankrupt
- consent to confidential personal inquiries to determine your suitability for appointment, including a criminal records check
- establish an employment and/or a community based need for appointment
- consent to having your full name published on the Justice of the Peace register.
To commence your JP application process, please click here to register your details on the NSW Department of Justice website.
For further information please feel free to contact my office on (02) 9580 9349.