St George Hospital’s Babies Get First-Class Unit

Tuesday, 04 February 2020

A new $11.5 million, world-class birth unit twice the size of the previous facility has opened at St George Hospital, providing local women with the best possible care close to home.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard was joined by the Member for Oatley Mark Coure, Member for Holsworthy Melanie Gibbons and Member for Miranda Eleni Petinos, to officially open the unit and meet one of its first newborns.

“This modern, state-of-the-art unit has been carefully designed with thoughtful consideration of the needs of women during childbirth, featuring the very latest technology and equipment for maternity care,” Mr Hazzard said.

“The NSW Government’s $11.5 million upgrade doubles the size of St George Hospital’s previous birth facilities so that more women in the local community can access world-class birth facilities and care close to home.”

The upgrade provides eight new birth rooms with water immersion facilities for women in labour, two acute observation rooms and new neonatal monitoring technology.

Mr Coure said the unit is now very close to the operating theatres, two of which were refurbished as part of the upgrade.

“The NSW Government is delivering on its commitment to provide world-class healthcare to the people of NSW and this new birth unit is great news for families of the St George region and beyond,” Mr Coure said.

Ms Gibbons said the birth unit is also co-located with a new Pregnancy Assessment Unit, with its own waiting area and consulting room, providing extra support to the birth unit.

“This new birth unit will provide exceptional care to the 2,300 women who give birth at the hospital each year and meet the growing needs of our local community.”

Ms Petinos said that local mums and their newborns will receive more timely care and have the best possible experience at this very important stage of their lives.

Under the Liberal and Nationals Government St George Hospital has undergone extensive upgrades during Stage 1 and 2 of its redevelopment including a new emergency department and acute services building. The Hospital will continue to be upgraded with a $385 million investment in Stage 3 of the redevelopment announced last year.