· Dignitaries present
· 19th anniversary of the Annual Business Awards program of the Hong Kong Australia Business Association NSW Chapter
· Recognise the entrepreneurial spirit and achievements of both small and medium enterprises and corporations in all aspects of international trade affiliations between NSW and Hong Kong SAR.
· Initiated by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council
· Established in 1987
· Aim to promote a positive image for Hong Kong and to reinforce economic ties between Hong Kong/China and Australia
· Members of the Association are local businessmen and women with strong Hong Kong connections or those interested in doing business with Hong Kong in Australian organisations
· The Association is a member of the Federation of Hong Kong Business Association Worldwide. This Federation is comprised of 33 Hong Kong Business Associations worldwide with a total membership of over 11,000.
· The NSW Chapter provides networking, investment and trade opportunities between Hong Kong or Chinese companies and Australian companies. It also provides an opportunity for Australian members to network with other members worldwide.
· Sponsored by Facebook, JD Group, Jeanswest, Cathay Pacific, Asia Today International and many more.
· Their mission is:
o To promote global co-operation, communication exchange and synergy among the Hong Kong business associations worldwide
o To provide a unified global voice that will enhance business and investment opportunities in and through Hong Kong
Two-way trade between Hong Kong and Australia
· Hong Kong is one of China’s richest and most developed regions and serves as a two-way interface between the mainland and the world.
· Hong Kong was Australia’s twelfth largest trading partner overall in 2016, with total two-way trade in goods and services worth $16.3 billion
· Hong Kong is an attractive export destination for Australia. Australian goods exports to Hong Kong were worth $10 billion in 2016, growing at over 20% between 2011 and 2016. The Australian services export market to Hong Kong was worth $2.5 billion in 2016, and grew at a rate of 11.6% between 2015 and 2016
· Hong Kong is out 5th largest source of total foreign investment and our tenth largest destination for total Australian investment.
· Hong Kong is Australia’s leading business base in East Asia. Over 600 Australian businesses, including the four major banks, have offices there.
· People-to-people links are significant. Over 100,000 Australians live in Hong Kong and around 96,000 people born in Hong Kong now live in Australia.